Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have you done for your motorcycle lately?
This is a thread for all the seemingly incidental repairs and improvements that give us a sense of accomplishment, but don't warrant their own thread. However, sharing these small triumphs can often inspire others to do something nice for THEIR bike and report back to this thread.

For instance, I cleaned some leaked fork oil off of my right brake disc and pads this evening. The right fork seal had been leaking, but miraculously stopped on its own. I hope it stays that way.

Later this evening, since I can't seem to leave my YZF alone, I turned on the key and checked the lights. Well, it turns out that my front brake lever switch was not actuating the brake lamp. It has probably been that way since I bought it almost two weeks ago.
Long story short, I was able to take the switch apart, clean the contacts, figure out how the little mouse-trappish thing fits together, and lube it with silicone dielectric grease. I put it back on the perch and it works flawlessly. Not an easy tack, and not for those who don't like three dimensional, miniature puzzles. [Image: twitchsmile.gif]
Member: 100,000+ Mile Club (2003 YZF600RR)
Wind Deflectors        Lost Sprocket Nut Fix
Current squeeze is a 2003 FJR1300R
Last week i changed the oil on my cat, went synthetic this time :3 just testing out this brand. A couple days ago, bleed my brakes using a cotten candy container and a tube, and i think i still need to work on the front calipers still, its kinda choppy. Either that, or i gotta clean the pistons on them. :3 AND IN A COUPLE DAYS! NEW CAN! WOOOOOOOO!

EDIT** i also just purchased better flush mount turn signals. The other ones, the left one had 2 led's out and did not stick out well. I got a flat black one instead of the carbon look.
2003 Yamaha R1
Mods: Yoshimura TRS slip-on, Frame Sliders

Sold: 03/16/2014
2007 Yamaha YZF600R
Mods: 2Bros C2 slip on, Flush Turn Signals. Puig Race windscreen, Ride it aftermarket, TSG Custom Pearl white paint, 14/49 JT sprockets w/ gold 530 DID Chain, OES Frame sliders, Motion Pro speedo cable, LW adaptor, '09 R6 rear shock
I just repaired my 2nd Gear (previous owner), and gave the whole engine case a much needed degreasing and bath Smile Also finished scuffing the frame, and getting ready to lay some sexy semi-gloss black over her. Drool
Nothing lately, but I plan to do an oil change, clean & wax plastics, wax chain and install a 12volt power plug for my GPS this weekend Big Grin
All the gear in the world won't save you if you can't ride within your limits
[Image: P3182375_av.jpg]
I turned my Cat into a stripper and got her a new front end job ... :evillol

among other things for the year before all the cosmetic surgery happened on her, I changed the oil and put in the Factory Pro Shift kit too ... I keep her happy Ok
YodaHart Wrote:Nothing lately, but I plan to do an oil change, clean & wax plastics, wax chain and install a 12volt power plug for my GPS this weekend Big Grin

I just added a power outlet on mine and am waiting for my phone mount and USB adapter to arrive. I will post a pic or two when I have it all set up.
The power outlet is in the right lower gauge surround, and wired into the marker light using bullet connectors. I essentially made two jumpers with male and female bullets that supply the 12v and ground to the outlet. Plug-n-play. Cool
Despite the fact that it is forecast to rain every day for the next week, my kitty just got a bath and a fresh wax job. Too hot outside to do anything else right now. Her chain will get a rub down with some dupont teflon multi purpose lube (best sh*t ever!) before I head to work with my rain gear in tow. Sad

Gotta love summertime in Florida!
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci
New pegs, tank grips, wheels, tires, and track time
knee resting association
elbow resting association

MoMan - "Y'all need medication"
New fairing set, and reinstalled my 12V lighter socket so I can charge my phone on the road.

todo: repaint the tank to match the fairings.

Edit: also finally learned how to adjust the suspension, it feels like a new bike now Smile shoulda done that a year ago!
last thing I did with the cat was bleed the front brakes. (No problem just maintence was due)

Next thing to fix is the front tyre valve (Has a big split at the base). Wheel off and to the garage for repair.
Extras on my Thundercat - Stainless steel Front & Rear Goodridge braided hoses, Stainless steel downpipes, Zero Gravity double bubble screen, ART pro series II exhaust, Triboid pillion seat cover, Headlight protector, Stompgrips, R&G crash bobbins, GRD carbonfibre front mudguard, Carbonfibre yoke protector, Phillips Motovision headlight bulb, Pyramid Plastics front fender extender, Stainless steel screen kit

http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/index.asp
I added frame sliders. Cheap insurance, methinks.
Reserector Wrote:I added frame sliders. Cheap insurance, methinks.
what kind? (frame sliders)
2003 Yamaha R1
Mods: Yoshimura TRS slip-on, Frame Sliders

Sold: 03/16/2014
2007 Yamaha YZF600R
Mods: 2Bros C2 slip on, Flush Turn Signals. Puig Race windscreen, Ride it aftermarket, TSG Custom Pearl white paint, 14/49 JT sprockets w/ gold 530 DID Chain, OES Frame sliders, Motion Pro speedo cable, LW adaptor, '09 R6 rear shock
Jopo16 Wrote:
Reserector Wrote:I added frame sliders. Cheap insurance, methinks.
what kind? (frame sliders)
Kapsco Moto brand.

They were easy to install, fit like a glove, and came with chrome socket head bolts, not the hex head bolts seen in the ad picture.
They don't have the aluminum insert that the CES have, so they may not hold up as well in a crash. I don't plan to test them if I can help it. Big Grin
I aligned the wheels using the string trick (using bungee cords to pull the strings tight, which really made this easy). The marks on the adjusters are not that accurate, I found. But now that I know how far off they are, I will always dial in the same correction each time I adjust my chain slack. In fact I just had the idea to scribe in two corrected lines on the adjusters...

I wonder though, how consistent the edges of the tires are, that we depend on to align wheels this way? I should have tried it using more than one position on the rear to be sure. Hmmm, something else to try...
PaulZ Wrote:I aligned the wheels using the string trick (using bungee cords to pull the strings tight, which really made this easy). The marks on the adjusters are not that accurate, I found. But now that I know how far off they are, I will always dial in the same correction each time I adjust my chain slack. In fact I just had the idea to scribe in two corrected lines on the adjusters...

I wonder though, how consistent the edges of the tires are, that we depend on to align wheels this way? I should have tried it using more than one position on the rear to be sure. Hmmm, something else to try...

I need to do this. Mine wanders to one side when I go no-handed. That's a sure sign of misalignment.
new chain and sprockets on the way
installed goodrich stainless front brake lines
new pads on the way
installed 12v outlet in dash
ordered a set of Conti Motion tires from Motorcycle Superstore for 143 shipped!
TSG: "No, I have never heard of the Blue Waffle..."
Slug: "Even Kidlet knows what the Blue Waffle is..."
Chain and sprockets on the way.
New smart phone bracket. (Thread added to the How-To section.)
I gave the cat a sponge bath Saturday.
I ordered new PR2s. Should go on next week! After vacation I will getting a new chain and sprockets. And I will need to get a tail bag or saddle bags before January. Going back to school, and will need book and clothes carrying capacity.
Current mods- R6 shock swap, Factory Pro Shift Kit, Fender chop, Foot peg LED turn signals, Yoshi slip on.
PaulZ Wrote:I aligned the wheels using the string trick (using bungee cords to pull the strings tight, which really made this easy). The marks on the adjusters are not that accurate, I found. But now that I know how far off they are, I will always dial in the same correction each time I adjust my chain slack. In fact I just had the idea to scribe in two corrected lines on the adjusters...

maybe measure the distance from the string to the rim instead of the tire.

I put on a fresh...ish set of tires. Bike feels taller... Lol
I installed the ZG Double Bubble that I bought from microbrew.
[Image: IMAG0586.jpg]

520 conversion. Parts from indysuperbikes.com. Thanks to Kbacon for the hookup.
The stickers added 17 HP at the wheel. Cheers
[Image: IMAG0584.jpg]

Rim stripes. White reflective. About $6.00 direct from Hong Kong.
[Image: IMAG0585.jpg]

And from the same Hong Kong Ebay vendor, these Progrip big pimpin items; tank pad and gas cap pad. Both items for $10.00.
[Image: IMAG0583.jpg]